South African Public Holidays for 2017
Afrikaans name: Suid-Afrikaanse openbare vakansiedae 2017
Although every effort is made to keep this list correct, BlueGnu can't be held responsible for any errorsI hate to have to inform you that 2017 is way in the past so there is not much point in planning your family holiday around the dates shown below. But, at least, they show you the opportunities that you missed, or hopefully took! But what happened in 2017?
- Jacob Zuma is still president despite lots of pressure being put on him from different places.
- The Sri Lanka cricket team toured South Africa. South Africa won all the tests and one-day matches.
- Joost van der Westhuizen passed away on the 6th February.
- More than 1,000 homes are destroyed by fire in Knysna and Plettenberg Bay.
- The City of Cape Town imposes strict water restrictions on its residents due to the prolonged drought.
- The Blitzboks were crowned World Rugby Sevens champions.
- Wayde van Niekerk wins gold in the 400 metres at the World Championships in London.
- Castor Semenya also wins gold at the World Championships. She won hers in the 800 metres.
- Kevin Anderson reaches the US Open final where, unfortunately, he lost to Rafa Nadal.
- David Miller scores 100 runs in 35 balls in a T20 match against Bangladesh.
1st January - New Year’s Day
2nd January - Public holiday
21st March - Human Rights Day
14th April - Good Friday
17th April - Family Day
27th April - Freedom Day
1st May - Workers Day
16th June - Youth Day
9th August - National Women’s Day
24th September - Heritage Day
25th September - Public holiday
16th December - Day of Reconciliation
25th December - Christmas Day
26th December - Day of Goodwill