Reitz Pontoon, Kruger National Park
Reitz Pontoon in Kruger National Park
The Reitz Pontoon does not exist anymore. Instead, at the site where it crossed the Olifants River, there is a low-level bridge which is great for game viewing and even better for photography.
The pontoon was constructed in 1929 and was in use until 1937. The site for the pontoon was chosen by Colonel Reitz, after whom it is named. A mining engineer, by the name of Paul Selby, built the pontoon which allowed traffic in the fledgeling park to safely cross the river.
The site where the pontoon was located is very close to Balule Camp and there is a plaque in the camp to commemorate it.