Afrikaans name: Greylingstad
As with many towns in South Africa the origin of this town lies with the Dutch Reformed Church. They established a church and community in this area in 1909. The town was named after PJ Greyling who was a stepson the Voortrekker leader Piet Retief.
The original site of Greylingstad was 5 km away from the current site. In 1913 land owner Willem Bezuidenhout established Willemsdal on the current location and a year later Greylingstad was moved to and took over from Willemsdal.
The town has always relied on agriculture on the surrounding towns to keep it going and this is still true today, although the town has declined since the nearby road to Johannesburg was rerouted to bypass the town.
The main products from the farms are maize and dairy.
Grain silos dominate the landscape
Dutch Reformed Church
References and further readingOn Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 171
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 221
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 90