Afrikaans name: Victoria-wes
In 1843 the Dutch Reformed Church selected the site of the current day Victoria West for a new parish. The village was initially named Victoria, in honour of Queen Victoria, but changed the name to Victoria West in 1855. This was to prevent confusion with another town called Victoria in the Eastern Cape.
The newly created town was hit by a disaster in 1871 when the Brak River suddenly flooded and killed 60 residents. In 1872 a breakwater was built to help prevent catastophic flooding.
Agriculture is the main economic activity in the area but there is also a growing interest from tourists. There are game lodges nearby, good biding opportunities, historical buildings and more.
A one-stop shop in Victoria West
References and further readingConolly's Guide to Southern Africa - Author: Denis Conolly - Year Published: 1982 - Page: 122
On Route - A region by region guide to South Africa - Author: B.P.J. Erasmus - Year Published: 1995 - Page: 308
Reader's Digest Illustrated Guide to Southern Africa - 4th edition - Author: - Year Published: 1986 - Page: 89
Road Tripping South Africa - Author: MapStudio - Year Published: 2014 - Page: 18
Southern Africa from the Highway - Author: AA RSA - Year Published: 1991 - Page: 156
The Pictorial Motoring Atlas of South Africa - Author: Maxwell Leigh - Year Published: 1987 - Page: 50